If you have a kid that is developing a special talent in a sport, you may be wondering how you can foster its growth. School programs are good, but a summer camp program geared towards the sport they love provides valuable benefits that are not found at school. Whether it’s hockey, baseball or even archery that your child is interested in, you should be considering these benefits of sending them to a sports camp:
- Your kids stay active when you send them to a sports summer camp, as opposed to letting them veg in front of the X-box all day. From learning how to put up a tent with all the pegs and tarps, to daily practices, they are getting a healthy dose of exercise consistently.
- Self-discipline is fostered at a sports summer camp. Not only will they be expected to excel in their sport, they will have to learn valuable lessons on surviving a week or two without you. Being a part of a campsite will make them accountable for how they maintain their own family tent and sleeping bag, take care of their belongings and keep up with their personal hygiene.
- A summer sports camp is going to have superior equipment and advanced training techniques, allowing your kid access a well rounded program that will help them to become a better athlete in the sport they love.
- Child athletes in a summer sports program get a different perspective of the sport from caring mentors who have specialized expertise in the activity they are interested in. With this higher level of coaching, your kid develops the confidence and self-esteem needed to become a sought after athlete.
- Summer sports programs are fun. Kids get the whole camping experience of sleeping in tents and cooking on a camping stove, while developing valuable skills and knowledge about teamwork and the value of working hard. Not only will your child be playing sports extensively, they will get the chance to take nature hikes, swim and make arts and crafts projects.
What you need to send your kid off with will depend on the individual program, but you may need to buy them some basic camping supplies in addition to their sports gear. Check online review sites for affordable tents, sleeping bags and backpacking backpacks to make sure they are well prepared with quality gear. Don’t forget a compass just in case all the fun they are having causes them to lose their way to get back home.